2.16.2007

Beckham To Play Central Midfield

When David Beckham finally arrives in Los Angeles, his role with the Galaxy will be that of a central midfielder. "I would probably think we'll play a 4-3-3, I would see him in the middle of the field for us," Galaxy coach Frank Yallop said.

This likely spells the end of the road for holding midfielder Pete Vagenas, at least with the first team. Vagenas was captain of the team just a few months ago, but will be most remembered for this quote when asked of Beckham's contract: "... a wise man told me you're worth what you negotiate. But at the same time, of course there's resentment, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't." The media generally interpreted his statement as "All Galaxy Players Jealous of Greedy Beckham."

Yallop went on to say that he hasn't spoken to Beckham since a 50-minute phonecall shortly after the signing was announced, but he plans to travel to Spain sometime in the future to (hopefully) watch Beckham play.

No comments: