6.15.2007

Eddie Pope's Last Season

Real Salt Lake and former U.S. international defender Eddie Pope announced Thursday that 2007 will be his final season.Pope, 33, began his MLS career with D.C. United as the second overall pick in the inaugural draft of 1996, scoring the golden goal in overtime to propel D.C. to the MLS Cup championship in the league's first year of existence.

On the international side, Pope was a big part of the U.S. picture, earning 82 caps in all, and appearing in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 World Cup squads. "The 2002 World Cup, that was unbelievable for me as a player. Beating Mexico is exciting any time, and when you can do it in the World Cup in a game like that, that was one of the greatest days in my career," reflected Pope.

On his remaining days in Utah: "I love it here and I've had a good time playing here in front of the amazing fans. To be able to retire here is a great thing for me. I'm very, very happy about that, to retire in such a great place."

No comments: