1.13.2008

Angry Twellman Lashes Out at MLS, Revs

The Washington Post's Steven Goff has published comments on his blog - Soccer Insider - made by New England Revolution forward Taylor Twellman in regards to the Preston North End transfer situation. PNE originally made an offer the league for Twellman in the $1.5 million range, which was quickly turned down by the league. Since then, the English League Championship side, badly in need of a goal-scorer, has upped their offer to around $2.5 million - but that figure was still too low for Twellman in the eyes of Major League Soccer.

Apparently, Mr. Twellman is none-too-happy with team or league officials, and feels that neither one is being truthful to him over the situation:

"I want to go. It's perfect timing. It's the right club and, being 27, it's the right time to go to Europe.

"When I ask MLS, they say the Revs rejected it. When I ask the Revs, they said it was MLS. Look, you're not going to get more than that for a guy like me, who is not always with the national team. It's a good offer. Anytime a team wants you that bad, of course you go.

"I'm everywhere from confused to mad because I don't know where we are on this. I have always been told that there is no international interest out there for me, but if there were, they would consider it. So it's at the point where I feel like they've gotta sell me or compensate me, whether it's with money or more guaranteed years. I don't have to make big Designated Player money. I just want something to happen."

The situation doesn't bode well for New England, having come off their third-straight MLS Cup loss - and fourth in the past six years - as the nucleus of the club is being severely tested once again this offseason.

The team faced a similar situation in 2006 when budding star Clint Dempsey became irritated after MLS rejected his move to Charlton Athletic for a $1.5 million transfer fee. Feeling a move overseas was vital to his growth, Dempsey angrily declared that he would not re-sign with Major League Soccer when his contract ran out. Faced with losing the player on a free transfer in 2007, the league ultimately accepted a $4 million transfer to Fulham in December '06.

Maybe now is the time for Robert Kraft to accept the highest transfer offer he can get for Twellman and take the money he gets in return to make use of his team's Designated Player spot?

No comments: